Saturday, February 28, 2009

Disaster May Strike Again




According to the Official Stephenie Meyer website, http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/, the New Moon movie will come out in theaters on November 20th of this year. While many Twilight fans rejoice in this revelation, I have doubts about the movie.

Doubts such as how closely the movie will resemble the book, the subtracting of major parts in the book in order to fit the movie, the adding of scenes that never existed in New Moon, and the fact that this movie will come to theaters in less than a year than Twilight the Movie.

For those who read Twilight first then watch the movie of it, weren't you disappointed in how poor some scenes were? In Twilight the book Edward stayed with Bella after the car nearly hit her; he didn't jump over a car and run from the accident while in FULL view of his peers. Edward wants to hide the fact that he is a vampire not expose his true self while in a parking lot. And the book clearly, let me say it again, CLEARLY states that Edward's special place is in a meadow not on the side of a cliff. I imagined Edward's room a lot bigger, but that's just me. Also Twilight the Movie didn't include as much as Edward's family as I would have liked to see. They were mentioned several times in Twilight the book but shown little in the movie. One lunch scene in the movie had Alice talk to Bella; Alice doesn't talk to Bella until Edward brings Bella to the Cullens' house. I don't know how you pull off a vampire being black when vampires are obviously pale white. Some scenes that I really liked in the book were cut short in the movie. Towards the end of the movie when Bella goes to that dance with Edward, Bella comes out of her own house while in the book Alice and Rose forcefully get her ready for the dance at the Cullen household and Edward picks her up at the Cullens' house. Several other things bother me as well-one being that movie Bella wore leggings; book Bella did not-but I will not dwell on Twilight any longer. My present concern is New Moon.

I worry that the content of the movie won't live up to the expectations that many Twilight fans, including those who did not read the book, have set for it. I also worry that the director was put under too much pressure to make a better movie after the first one was a huge success.

Key points in New Moon are Bella and Jacob's time together (obviously), Alice appearing at Bella's house, (another obvious one) Bella stopping Edward from exposing himself in the sunlight, and the Valtrui (that may not be spelled right but I don't have the book in front of me).

Will these key points be given the justice that they rightly deserve, or will these scenes be butchered and cut down just to fit the time length of the movie?

What about the actors/actresses who will be playing the new parts? I do have to admit that the choice of actors/actresses in Twilight fit their character exceptionally well. That I will applaud. My hope is the newly introduced characters will have their parts fit perfectly also.

One last point I want to make before I wrap this up; how quickly the movie will be produced into theaters. Twilight the movie came out the 12th of December 2008 (originally it was to come out the 21 of November of 2008 but they pushed it to the later date which consequently pushed the Harry Potter Movie out of the 12th of December 2008 to July of 2009), and New Moon the Movie is scheduled to come to theaters the 20th of November 2009. The rapid making of this movie will affect the movie itself. Whether it be that the new director just works fast or scenes in the movie are modified, New Moon the Movie sits on a high pedestal with the limelight shining directly on top of it.

If this movie is decent then I will consider it a win. What I mean by decent is that major parts and scenes are not cut out, and the key scenes get the appropriate amount of time that put into them when Stephenie wrote the book.

Twilight the Movie to me was like taking the book and drawing big red X's through the major parts and scenes then living the rest to fuel itself. It's wrong, and the book is ruined.

So I pray that this movie won't get crushed beneath all the high expectations, and I pray that the director won't crack under pressure. As for the actors/actresses...well, keep up the good work.

I'll end on that positive note, so Brittany Kriz is out.

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you! If they ruin the second book with the movie then I just may not even go to see the last two movies! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justice MUST be served!! And on a silver platter...jk about the platter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe they'll do better with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe...I hope they do, but hehe I have my doubts. :P

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave questions, comments or constructive criticism. But, be appropriate.